Yesterday I never did get around to writing a blog post, I’m not sure why, but oh well such is life.
I saw the recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel bars and thought they looked rather yummy. Who does’t like chocolate, peanut butter and pretzels, oh wait I know a few people who don’t, but
I like them and that’s what counts, a lot of people like them and that is what’s important.
I made them yesterday… well I made something similar anyway. I followed the recipe, but then “Lori-ized it”. And, as soon as I tried one I was already re-writing the recipe in my head.
This is what I did:
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided)
- bag of mini pretzel twists
- 4 oz. box Reese’s Pieces candy
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a siltpad
Melt 8 ounces of the chocolate chips gently in the microwave (on low heat, stirring every 15 seconds) until smooth. (my microwave has a melt chocolate setting so I used that, but this is the typical way to melt chocolate in a microwave without burning it)
In a medium saucepan over medium heat add honey and sugar and stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil and boil for 1 full minute, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth.
Stir in vanilla
- Spread the melted chocolate onto the baking sheet, don’t worry about neatness aim more for a similar thickness across the surface area used
- Top with pretzels and Reese’s Pieces. You can put them down at random, or be more like me and spend time making sure they are evenly spaced out (ok a bit OCD there, but hey what can I say?) Lightly press into chocolate
- Prep peanut butter layer. I had enough to spread it in an even layer over the whole bar
- Add an additional layer of the pretzels and press into peanut butter layer
- melt remaining 4 oz of chocolate and drizzle over the top of everything.
- Refrigerate until solid.
- Cut or break into pieces
OK… now here is how I’d change it next time!
First I felt this was very honey forward. I would either use 1/4 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of agave nectar or switch it all to agave nectar (I am not a huge honey fan even though both Richard and Colby love the stuff and eat it all the time).
Also, I would add salt to the peanut butter layer to bring out the peanut butter flavor more than just the sweet of the honey/sugar combination
I liked the double layer of pretzels (that I already changed from the original recipe), but felt the Reese’s pieces got lost. So you either need to double the amount you use or add peanut butter chips or even peanut M&M’s to up the peanut flavor.
Finally I would put more of the chocolate into the bottom layer maybe only reserve 2.5 oz for the top so it was a true drizzle and not a full layer of chocolate.
Colby tried these out as his after school snack. He loves peanut butter and chocolate together. He loves peanut butter and honey together. He always eats peanut butter and pretzels together. He LOVES Reese’s Pieces. So this treat was right up his alley. Richard also enjoyed them when he came home from work. I guess I will be making these again, but next time I’ll “Lori-ize” them even more!