Colby had requested pancake for dinner tonight. So we had pancakes and bacon for dinner. While I do get one cheat day/meal a week I decided I wanted to have a slightly healthy addition to our pancakes.
While Richard made the bacon, I whipped up our favorite homemade pancakes. Here is the link to the pancake mix we use.
I also made a batch of mixed berry sauce. I have frozen mixed berries for my smoothies, this bag was strawberry, blueberry and raspberry,
I used the berries as a topping on my pancakes as well as topping a dish of vanilla yogurt. Since I did not add any sugar to this mixture the sweetness totally came from the berries.
Mix Berry Sauce
- 2 c. mixed berries
- 1 lemon
- put berries into the sauce pan over high
- zest and juice the lemon adding both to the pan
- once it comes to a boil, reduce the head to low and let the mixture simmer
- stir to assist in the breaking down of the berries
- remove from the heat and let cool
- serve over pancakes, yogurt, ice cream… whatever you want/need a berry sauce
This batch had a strong raspberry flavor, but it was very tasty. I am planning to make a batch of just strawberry, and then experiment with a peach sauce since I have frozen peaches too. I really liked this over the yogurt and the fact that I can control the amount and quality of berries added to my yogurt!