I always menu plan the night before I go to the grocery store. I really don’t know how people shop without menu planning!
Well this week, we had one night that was unplanned. We just could not come up with something to have as one of our weekend meals. I looked when I went to the grocery store and we looked again yesterday when we were at Costco for something to get for dinner. We did buy pork chops and ground turkey. But, I just did not feel like pork chops tonight. So… I started to think and think of something to make. I ended up making a recipe off the seat of my pants.
In the past I’ve made “TOTchos”, but I always made them Tex-Mex. I didn’t want that. I have been on an anit-taco meat kick lately. But the concept of TOTchos sounded like a perfect meal for tonight. So I created Cheeseburger TOTchos. (it tastes better than it photographs! )
- -ground turkey (or any ground meat you like)
- -small onion-minced
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp steak sauce
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Steak seasoning (I use McCormick Montreal Blend)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese you like on your burgers)
- -tater tots
- Preheat oven and bake tater tots according to the package
- In a large cast iron pan (or frying pan of your choice) sauce the onions (seasoned with S&P) in some EVOO
- When the onions begin to brown add in ground turkey and cook it while breaking it down into chunks
- Add Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, steak seasoning, and ketchup to the meat and continue to stir
- I popped this into my second oven at 350 to continue to cook, but you can do it all on the stove top.
- When the tots are done, season the tots with S&P
- Put the cheese on top of the meat mixture
- Put the tots on top of the cheese and pop back in the oven for 3-5 min to melt the cheese
Serve with your favorite tot and burger toppings. I used ketchup, mustard and pickle slices, Colby used ketchup, Blake and Richard didn’t t add anything to theirs.
This was really good. Richard felt it needed a bit more seasoning. I think the tots needed to cook a bit more so they were super crisp. I think the next time I’ll cook them for the longer time on the bag instead of the shorter. I will certainly make it again.