Ok this is a recipe that I have made for years!! I have been making it since before the turn of the century… wow that sound strange and like it was EONS and EONS ago. I found this recipe back in the early 90s on the side of a box of Funfetti Cake Mix.
It is the easiest cookie, or in this cake cookie bar to make. Also, you can make it so many different ways and I’ve yet to have one I didn’t like!
- 1 box cake mix
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 2 eggs
- mix-ins (optional)
- frosting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix the cake mix, oil and eggs. (add mix-ins if using)
- Form into balls
- Flatten slightly
- Bake for 6-8 min or until the edges start to brown
- let cool and then frost
I was being lazy today and decided to make them into cake mix cookie bars. I baked them in an 8×8 pan that I sprayed with non-stick spray. Then I baked them at 350 for 22 min.
Today I made confetti (Colby’s favorite) and triple chocolate (that’s what I had, but devil’s food is my favorite chocolate for these)
Some of my favorite combinations:
- devil’s food cake mix, peanut butter chips, vanilla frosting
- yellow cake mix, chocolate chips, chocolate frosting
- spice cake mix, cream cheese frosting
- lemon cake mix, lemon frosting
- devil’s food cake mix, mint frosting
- strawberry cake mix, strawberry frosting
- yellow cake mix, peanut butter chips
This was a go to recipe when the boys were wanting to help bake cookies. It is simple to measure, mix and create. It also allowed them to create their own combinations. Colby loves to take and make funfetti cookies and then add peanut butter chips and more sprinkles to his. Blake typically will make devil’s food and then add more chocolate to his cookies.
I’m not sure I like them as much as bars as I do cookies. They are very tender and don’t feel as much like cookies as I expected, but they still taste yummy!